Sunday, January 11, 2009

Split Jerks and Sparring

Workout 11 January 2009:

Split Jerk, 7 sets of 1 rep, alternating legs

Results: 155-160-165-170-175-180-185lb
Previous best: 125-135-145-155-165-175-180lb (14 Apr 08)

Thai Kickboxing
45 minutes training and sparring

Like a lot of other lifts, it's been awhile since I've gone for a max weight split jerk. The last time I went heavy in April 08, I had a 55lb spread between the reps. That's too much, so I decreased the jump to only 5lb per set. Form started to deteriorate at about 170-175lb and was worse when driving the left leg forward.

My biggest problem is getting comfortable shoving my body under the bar after the dip-drive and not being as explosive as necessary. To train myself in this area, I would need to use a lifting platform and bumper plates so I could drop the weight without causing any damage. Right now, I mute the jerk portion of the lift which gives me better bar control so I'm less likely to drop (and break) the weights. Unfortunately, this sacrifices form, decreases the weight I can jerk, and actually puts my back at greater risk for injury...but I'll be damned if I break one of my cheap 45lb plates. Alternately, I can practice form with my current set up, just with a lighter (~125lb) weight.

Muay Thai practice went far better today than last week. Half the time was spent conditioning, the other half was spent on technique, including a new kick. I'm hoping to put in at least an hour of practice on my heavy bag before next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment