Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bench and Deads

Workout 20 January 2009:

Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps at 165lb
Deadlift: 1 set of 5 reps at 305lb

Results: All reps completed without failure

Previous Best Bench: No previous 5x5
Previous Best Deadlift: 5x1 at 290lb (17 Aug 08)

I infrequently bench since I usually work out alone and in order to go heavy, safely, you NEED a spotter. I didn't have one today, so I chose a weight that would go up safely, but still offer a challenge. I should be able to go with 170lb next time solo, or 175lb with a spotter.

The deadlifts went well. I did several warm up sets from 135 - 255lb before going for the 305lb work set. I've been reviewing deadlift form since although I've put up some decent weight over the past several months, I felt like I had been using too much back and not enough hip extensors. Today's pulls felt better, but there's still room for improvement. I should be able to pull 310-315lb next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment