Thursday, January 29, 2009

Murph

Workout 29 January 2009:

"Murph"
Run 1 mile
then
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
then
Run 1 mile

Pull-ups, push-ups, and squats are partitioned as needed.

Results: 43'25 (runs on treadmill with 1% incline)
Previous best: 47'55 (14 Sep 07)*
*Runs on treadmills with 0.5% incline and only 75, 150, and 225 reps of the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats completed.

I'm a firm believer that if you're not at least a little bit nervous before starting your workout, you're not working hard enough. However, this workout is probably the only one where I am legitimately scared before starting it. The only good part is when it's over. However, "Murph" is also the workout from which I get the greatest sense of accomplishment, especially today. I've done this workout 3 times in the past but was unable (or perhaps unwilling) to do all the reps of the exercises between the runs. Today marks the first time I've completed all the reps. On top of that, I even did the workout 4.5 minutes faster than last time. I'm going to hurt for a day or two, but it'll be completely worth it. Eventually, I want to do this workout while wearing 20lbs of body armor, but that'll take a couple of years.

This workout is in memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment