Friday, September 24, 2010

Front Squats

Workout 24 September 2010:

Front Squat 5-5-5-5-5

Results: 165-175-185-190-195lbs
Previous best: 170-175-180-185-190lbs (5 Feb 09)

Instead of back squats, today I opted for front squats which translate better into a stronger clean. I hoped to at least match my previous best, so I'm happy with an extra five pounds. I probably could have hit 200lbs, but as usual, tried to be somewhat cautious with my back. Next time I should have no problem hitting 200.

Two critical points in a front squat are keeping your chest high with minimal forward inclination of the torso. You should also work to keep your weight on your heels. Leaning forward, or letting the weight come onto your toes not only puts you at higher risk for back strain, but also transfers more of the load from your strong hamstrings and glutes to the less powerful (at least in most people) quads.

No comments:

Post a Comment