Thursday, July 8, 2010

Overhead Squats

Workout 8 July 2010:

Overhead Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Results: 95-105-110-110-112.5-115-117.5lbs
Previous best: none

I've rarely been able to do heavy overhead squats due to a general lack of bumper plates AND a place where I could safely throw down weights. At previous Olympic lifting classes, I was able to practice the snatch and have a 1RM of 125lbs. The last half of a snatch is identical to the last half of an overhead squat, so there is some carryover. However, the most difficult part of the OHS for me is squatting down with the weight and maintaining balance; if I can reach the bottom, I can almost always stand back up.
Although not great, I'm happy with these numbers. I failed once during an early 110lb attempt (not recorded above), but was able to recover and hit higher weights once I became more used to the movement and had better balance.
Flexibility is still an issue, though improving. I also need to focus more on driving my traps up to have active shoulders on which to better support the bar.
Now that I can do this lift at home, I'll be programming it in much more frequently as there's really no better exercise for building core strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment