Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hopper

Workout 6 July 2010:

Three rounds for time of:
10 Muscle-ups
10 Forward rolls
20 One legged squats, alternating
20 Shoulder taps

Results: 34'04 (squats with 20lb dumbbell)
Previous best: none

Today's workout is an interesting mix of various gymnastics skills designed to work all major muscle groups. The muscle-ups are standard fare in my workouts and went reasonably well. I'd still like to get back to the point where I could do several in a row without even coming off the rings or resetting my grip.
The forward rolls are new and were primarily thrown in simply for some skill work. I'm working on trying to walk on my hands (more below) and one of the safe ways to get out of a handstand safely if falling is by doing a forward roll. On the same note, I did shoulder taps which is a good skill for building up to handstand walks using a wall for support. Although these are easy, don't do too many in a row since they can make you dizzy.
Finally, pistols (one-legged squats) improve leg and core strength as well as stability. I used a 20lb dumbbell as a counter-balance. Holding a dumbbell in front of you while doing pistols helps improve balance and can actually make the squats a bit easier (as long as you don't use excessive weight) and allow you to squat deeper without losing balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment