Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tricep Burn

Workout 11 April 2009

Time for 21-15-9 reps of:
Handstand push-ups
Ring dips
Push-ups

Results: 27'30
Previous best: 25'45, modified (switched out HSPU for 85lb push jerks during 15 and 9 rep rounds; 5-Nov-07)

I've done this workout several times in the past, but have never been able to complete it without making significant modifications (push jerks at 85lb are much easier than HSPU). My goal today was to complete the workout without any modification no matter how long it took. I didn't care if the workout took an hour to complete, I WAS going to finish. I was thrilled when I finished only about two minutes slower than my previous best time on the modified workout. About half-way through the HSPUs during the 9-rep round, I had a massive adrenaline / endorphin rush and blazed through the rest of the round in only about two minutes. Screw drugs, this is cheaper and better for you.

If you want to try this workout, do as many HSPUs as possible and then switch to 45-65lb shoulder press or 65-95lb push jerks. If you don't have rings, do twice as many regular bar dips.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
In regards to fitness advice:
"You are right to be wary. There is much bullshit. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic."

No comments:

Post a Comment