Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shoulder Press

Workout 12 August 2010:

Shoulder Press 5-5-5-5-5

Results: 105-115-120-120-120lbs
Previous best: 125x5 (6 Jan 09)

As with the back squats, over the next several weeks, I want to gain strength in some of the major lifts, ideally back to my peak of almost a year and a half ago. My shoulder press has definitely declined, but no more than about 5-10%. The last set of 120lbs was a struggle, but with some other shoulder work, I should be able to get a set at 125lbs soon. A straight 125x5 is probably several weeks off at this point, but definitely achievable.

Remember to keep your core tight during full extension overhead. Fully engaged abs are necessary to fight your natural tendency to lean backwards slightly. Go heavy enough, and you'll realize a shoulder press challenges your core almost as much as your upper body.

1 comment:

  1. At first I was all excited because I thought I could almost push press as much as you, but then I realized it was shoulder press. Sad face. Good job though!!!

    ReplyDelete