Sunday, May 17, 2009

Squats

Workout 17 May 2009:

Back Squat, five sets of three reps, 175lbs

I'm slowly able to add on weight to my heavy lifts without fear of significant injury to my back. Today's weight is still a far cry from my three-rep-max of 255lbs, but at least I'm getting closer.

Since I was going lighter, I made sure these squats counted. I went A2A and paused at the bottom. The pause at the bottom negates the stretch reflex which allows you to "bounce" up from the bottom of a squat with some added power. Without this, you really need to focus on engaging your hamstrings and glutes to drive out of the hole. Just as a warning, never actually try to "bounce" out from the bottom of a squat. You'll hurt something doing that.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
Discussing his form after a bench press demo:

"I didn't lock that last [bench press] out in a safe position over my fairly sturdy sternum, here. I came up off the bench and put that thing right over the most valuable structures that I possess; teeth, eyeballs... all precious voice... [Rip then looks off camera at someone and shakes his head.] I'm 51, they aren't as valuable anymore as they used to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment