Friday, May 22, 2009

Renegade

Workout 22 May 2009:

Rounds in 20 minutes of:
6 Renegade Rows, 20lb dumbbells
12 Sit-ups (Abmat)
24 Squats

Results: 7 rounds + 2 renegades
Previous best: none

This was a new full-body workout that is particularly core-intensive. This was my first time incorporating renegade rows into a workout. Since I've never done large numbers before, I did them at a weight I knew I could handle. The sit-ups were also difficult since I did them on my Abmat. Although air squats are not particularly core intensive, I added them to increase the cardiovascular benefit of the workout since I can bang out large numbers of them fairly easily. I know I could have gone harder and probably squeezed in at least eight total rounds, but I wasn't sure how my back would feel afterwards. Next time, I'll hit this hard.

Ok, so what are renegade rows? To do these, start in a push-up position, gripping a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells on the floor. Perform a push-up. At the top of the push-up, pull one dumbbell up to your arm pit then slowly lower back to the floor. Repeat the push-up and pull the other weight up to your arm pit and lower slowly. This is one rep. If you're using dumbbells that roll on the floor, be sure to put a weight plate or some other heavy object on the floor just outside the dumbbells they won't roll out to the side. Check out this link for a demonstration. See this one for some tips on stability. Try these suckers out, they're fun.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
"If you are so inflamed that you can't train, and ibuprofen and fish oil help with inflammation, maybe you'd better take the fucking ibuprofen and fish oil."

No comments:

Post a Comment