Saturday, May 23, 2009

SDHP and Dips

Workout 23 May 2009:

Time for five rounds of:
Sumo-deadlift high-pull, 21 reps, 65lbs
21 Ring Dips

Results: 19'29
Previous best: none

Another new workout, and this one will just destroy your upper body and well as put a bit of hurt in your hips and legs. I had absolutely no desire to do this (or any) workout today since I spent most of the day lounging by a pool and eating snacks. I was honestly surprised that I was able to complete this workout in less than 20 minutes. The biggest time-consumer was the ring dips and since I was doing high numbers, I used a kipping ring dip to increase power output.

A sumo-deadlift high-pull is a skill where you move a barbell from the floor and bring it to chest-height, then back to the floor in one fluid movement. This link provides an excellent explanation (with pictures and a video) for the movement using a kettlebell, though it is more common to do this exercise with a barbell.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
"Never ask a question that you may not be prepared to have answered."

No comments:

Post a Comment