Monday, January 4, 2010

Cleans

Workout 4 January 2010:

Clean, seven sets of one rep

Results: 135-140-145-150-155-160-165lbs
Previous best: 125-130-135-140-145-150-155lbs (17 Nov 08)

Another PR for a max-effort day. However, I have in the past done a clean and jerk at 165lbs, so I've matched my best clean. Unfortunately, I did the latter at a lower bodyweight (back when I was about 145lbs). Regardless, my overall strength is getting close to what it was prior to my accident back in March. The lifts went well today and I probably could have gone heavier, but I wasn't doing the lifts on a lifting platform and am hesitant to drop the weights from much more than a foot or so off the ground. I plan on getting some coaching in the Olympic lifts soon, so hopefully my clean will continue to improve in weight and form. FYI, these are full squat cleans. No cheating doing hang cleans or power cleans!

The key to a clean is not pulling the bar up, but rather pulling your body under the bar. Your arms play a minimal role in this lift; they are essentially "straps" that tether the bar to your torso.

No comments:

Post a Comment