Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Front Squats

Workout 22 December 2009:

Front Squat, five sets of three reps

Results: 155-165-175-185-190lbs
Previous best: 145-160-170-180-190lbs (12 Nov 08)

This is the first time since March I've reached or exceeded a previous best on a strength workout. I didn't plan on lifting quite this much, but each set felt good. I probably could have added another 5-10lbs but decided not to risk it. Next time I do the workout, I'll shoot for a PR of 200lbs. My 1RM for the front squat is 215lb, so I'm getting close to meeting that on three reps.

When doing a front squat, it's important to keep your chest high and your elbows up. This helps maintain a lumbar curve and keeps you from falling forward. Unlike a regular squat, the front squat is meant to engage the quads more than the posterior chain, but by focusing on the above cues, you can also engage the glutes and hamstrings to assist the quads in the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment