Monday, February 9, 2009

Cleans and Rings

Workout 9 February 2009:

For time:
115 pound Power clean 15 reps
30 Ring dips
115 pound Power clean 12 reps
24 Ring dips
115 pound Power clean 9 reps
18 Ring dips
115 pound Power clean 6 reps
12 Ring dips
115 pound Power clean 3 reps
6 Ring dips

Results: 16'52
Previous Best: none

This is a new workout, so I didn't have any goal time. The next time I do it, I will increase the clean weight to at least 125lb since 115lb felt a little too light and I never needed to break up the cleans into more than 2 sets. The ring dips ended up being the most challenging part. As with just about any bodyweight exercise, doing dips on rings is significantly more challenging than on a set of parallel bars since more muscles must be utilized for stabilization.

Check out Elite Rings for more information about training with rings.

Additional Skill Work:
Back Lever- 5-second hold x 3
Skin-the-Cat x 10

Despite being pretty well worn out from the main workout, I decided to do some light skill work while I had the rings up. My back lever is definitely getting stronger. I can drop into it will a lot more control and am able to hold it for at least 5 seconds. The skin-the-cats are great not only for building shoulder strength, but also improving shoulder flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment