Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bench

Workout 13 February 2010:

Bench Press 5-5-5-5-5

Results: 155-165-175-175-175lbs
Previous best: 175x5 (13 Mar 09)

My upper-body strength has been lagging recently, so despite not particularly liking the bench press, today seemed appropriate for its use. I probably could have tied my best previous effort and done a full 5x5 at 175lbs today, but decided to play it safe and slowly work up to my previous best weight. I may have been able to add another 5lbs to the last two sets, but since I was benching alone, I didn't want to take any risks.

Although the bench press IS an excellent exercise for improving upper body strength, it is also particularly dangerous if doing it without a spotter. Unless just about every other big lift where you can easily dump the weight with low risk of injury, the only place for a failed bench to go is down on your chest, or worse, your face/head. This is the one exercise where it's OK to only give 90% effort if working out alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment