Sunday, July 5, 2009

Squats and Rope

Workout 5 July 2009:

Five rounds for time of:
65lb front squat, 21 reps
21 Double-unders

Results: 14'30
Previous best: none

I worked over 30 of the last 40 or so hours, so I wanted a quick workout that had a small strength component and would be decent metabolic conditioning. I kept the front squats very light and high volume since my brain is pretty much fried and going heavy could be dangerous. Given how I felt going in, I'm happy with the time. The first couple of rounds of double-unders slowed me down since I couldn't get many in a row. By round four, muscle memory set in and I was doing up to 15 in a row.

As a reminder, double unders are like regular jump rope except the rope passes twice for each jump. The key is getting your wrists moving fast enough and simply takes practice. If you can't do double unders, do 42 single jumps per round. Afterwards, practice DUs as a cool down, even if it means only doing one at a time.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
"Gravity always goes straight down. Unless they're disturbing the ionosphere with those heaters they have."

No comments:

Post a Comment