Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pull-ups and Runs

Workout 2 July 2009:

For time:
Run 800 meters
20 L-pull-ups
Run 800m
30 strict pull-ups
Run 800m
40 kipping pull-ups

Results: 24'55, runs on treadmill at 1% incline
Previous best: none

New workout today. I tried to combine one of my current strengths (short distance runs) with something that's been falling behind lately (the pull-ups). The hardest part of the workout was definitely the first two sets of pull-ups. I did each with a standard overhand pull-up grip. I also forced myself to do nearly a full lock-out at the bottom of each L-pull-up, which is something I've had difficulty with in the past. The kipping pull-ups went well as did the runs.

L-pull-ups are very similar to strict pull-ups except you flex your hips so your legs are at a 90 degree angle to your torso. This puts an incredible demand on the core and also activates your lats more for stabilization. If you can't do these, try jumping L-pull-ups or one legged L-pull-ups, alternating legs each rep.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
Responding to someone who asked if it was ok to do other exercises in addition or instead of those selected by that person's personal trainer:

"Never, and I mean NEVER, try anything that someone in authority, like me, has not specifically approved in advance. This is not allowed, and is specifically prohibited, because if you do this irresponsible thing, this 'Trying Things For Yourself,' you might learn on your own, and again, this is PROHIBITED."

No comments:

Post a Comment