Saturday, July 18, 2009

Helen's Evil Stepsister

Workout 18 July 2009:

Three rounds for time of:
400m run
21 dumbbell swings (25lb)
12 hand-stand push-ups

Results: 20'25
Previous best: none

It's been nearly a week since my last workout due to some back issues as well as putting in long hours at work. It felt good to get back, but I could definitely see the results of too little sleep and food. I was hoping to do this workout in about 15 minutes. I ran a bit slower than usual, and the HSPUs just killed me. I could have easily gone heavier on the DB swings, but I'm not risking aggravating my back.

The hospital at which I'm working this month has a gym on the top floor. It's reasonably well-equiped and I should be able to do about half of my workouts there as needed. I prefer my basement and the other two gyms to which I belong, but this is particularly convenient.

Scale the dumbbell weight up or down as needed. Even better, use a kettlebell. If my back were 100%, I'd be using a 24kg kettlebell. If you can't do HSPU, do the same number of push presses with a barbell at about 50-75% bodyweight depending on ability.

Mark Rippetoe Quote of the Day:
"It doesn't matter where you want the bar to be. The bar gets to decide."

No comments:

Post a Comment