Sunday, March 14, 2010

Snatch

Workout 14 March 2010:

Olympic Lifting Class, 60 minutes

I've wanted to improve my Olympic lifts for awhile now and have finally been introduced to both an instructor and an appropriate facility. Given that this is the first time I've had formal instruction in the snatch, I was told to stay light and focus on form. I learned various components of the lift using a wooden dowel first and then graduated to a standard bar, and finally finished the class with a total of 65lbs. As it turns out, my self-taught form wasn't awful, though there's plenty of room for fine tuning. All the lifts felt great and I should easily be able to go up next time.

Key points for today were keeping the arms long and avoid pulling early, maintaining a more erect torso, and engaging the hamstrings more for the first pull.

No comments:

Post a Comment