Sunday, September 13, 2009

Push Press

Workout 13 September 2009:

Push Press, seven sets of one rep

Results: 140-140-145-145-150-150-155lbs
Previous best: no prior 1x7

Another strength day, this time working upper body. Each rep felt good and I probably could have gone up another 10lbs but decided, as usual, not to go all out to keep my back safe. In previous workouts, before my back injury, I'd gone as high as 155lbs for three reps of the push press, so the capacity is there to easily go higher. I just need to work back up to it, and feel safe doing it.

The key to a good push press is a short, fast, aggressive drive. Keep your weight on your heels during the dip-drive and make sure your chest doesn't fall forward. To practice this, put your heels and back against a wall and do the dip-drive. Your back should never leave contact with the wall. If it does, your chest is coming forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment