Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Front Squat

Workout 9 September 2009:

Front Squat, seven sets of one rep

Results: 165-175-185-185-190-190-195lbs
Previous best: no prior 1x7

I haven't done front squats in awhile so since my back has been feeling pretty good recently, I decided to go reasonably heavy. My PR for a one-rep max on the front squat is 215lbs, so I was aiming to go up to about 85-90%. I probably could have added another five or ten pounds to the bar at the end, but no need to risk it yet.

One of the keys to protecting your lower back during a front squat is to make sure your elbows are high and your chest is up. At the bottom of the squat, imagine strings tied to the tips of your elbows that are attached to the ceiling. As you stand up from the squat, imagine those strings pulling your elbows (and thus, you) straight up. This cue should help you keep a tall chest and high elbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment