Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cleans

Workout 26 June 2010:

1RM Clean
Clean pulls 3-3-3
Bench 1-1-1

Results:
1RM Clean: 92.5kg (204lbs)
Clean pulls: 100kg x3 (220lbs)
Bench: 90kg x3 (198lbs)

Previous best:
1RM Clean: 200lbs (8 May 10)
Clean pulls: no prior
Bench: 205-215-225lbs (18 Mar 10)

I was introduced to the Pittsburgh Barbell Club today by a friend who is USA Weightlifting certified. This was a 2-hour lifting session with the goal of going heavy and picking up some important technique refinements along the way. Since I lifted with kilogram plates, I had to convert to pounds for easy comparison.

The cleans went well and I was able to PR by 4lbs with a very ugly clean. With better form, I was told I could easily lift another 10-15kg (approx 20-30lbs). The first of two areas I need to work on is fully extending at the top of the last pull. As it stands now, I start to drop under the bar a bit early and cheat myself of an additional 1-2 inches of bar height that would allow me to get under the bar more easily and have fewer missed lifts. Second, I need to work on getting into and then pulling from the starting position quickly. I also need to make sure my shoulders are a bit more forward and in front of the bar rather than directly above or behind the bar as they would be in a deadlift. Next time I go for a 1RM, I'm hoping to get at least 95kg (209lbs).

To practice fully extending at the top of the clean, and also to get used to pulling heavier weights, my friend taught me clean pulls. This technique looks just like the regular clean, except the barbell is dropped right at the point where you would otherwise drop underneath to catch. Since you're not actually catching the weight, you can pull heavier weights and focus strictly on the first three pulls and achieving full extension at the top of the third pull. Next time, I'm going to try at least 105kg (231lbs).

The bench singles were just a quick addition to the end of the workout right as the gym was closing. Since I was physically drained from the previous lifting and didn't have time to rest properly after each single, I went lighter than I've previous pressed for singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment