Saturday, November 21, 2009

Weighted Pull-ups

Workout 21 November 2009:

Weighted Pull-ups, seven sets of one rep

Results: 55-65-70-75**-80*-85*-90*lbs
Previous best: 55-60-65-70-75*-80*-85*lbs (28 Sep 09)
*supine (chin) grip; **alternate grip

Since yesterday was a taxing lower-body strength day, I decided to work upstairs. I'm very happy to have finally reached a 90lb chin. Now I can set my sights on 100lbs. I was actually surprised at how easy the 90lbs went up. I probably could have loaded on another 2.5-5lbs, but decided to stop since I had reached my seventh rep. Next time, the plan is to break 90.

Depending on what you have available, weighted pull-ups or chin-ups can be done with either plates loaded onto a weight belt or with a dumbbell held between your ankles. Work as heavy as you can with a standard pull-up grip, then switch over to an alternating grip (one hand palm down, other palm up) or chin-up grip at heavier weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment