Saturday, November 14, 2009

Almost Total

Workout 14 November 2009:
"CrossFit Total"
One rep max of:
Back Squat
Shoulder Press
Deadlift

Results: Squat 235, Press 140, Deadlift 285lbs (total 660lbs)
Previous best: Squat 265, Press 145, Deadlift 335lbs (745lbs)

My goal in this workout was not actually to max out any of the lifts, though I probably came very close on the press. I went about as heavy as I felt safe for my back, especially on the deadlift. Each of the "max" attempts went well and I'm sure I could have easily added a bit more weight onto each. Regardless, I'm happy my numbers are beginning to approach those prior to the back injury.

If you're doing this workout in it's true intent, that is, going for a true one-rep max, make sure you either have a spotter or are well-practiced in safely dumping weight. To do this workout, warm up as desired to approximately your target one-rep max for the squat. You then get three attempts to squat the most weight possible. If you miss, it counts as an attempt. Once done with the squat, do the same for the press. Finish with the deadlift. Ensure adequate rest between all max attempts (at least 5 minutes). Don't rest too long and cool down, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment